Current track

Title

Artist

Current show


Youth worker left homeless as flat burns down while he helped vulnerable kids

Written by on 25/11/2020

A man has been left with nothing except the clothes on his back after his flat burnt down in a freak fire that killed his three pet cats.

Nathan Carlin, from Rotherham, had been out at work at a local community centre, where he helps vulnerable children, when the blaze erupted inside his flat on November 19.

By the time he was alerted and rushed home, there was nothing he could do and he had to watch his beloved flat burn.

It is thought that the blaze was caused by a faulty microwave inside his flat on Lapwater Road in the town.

Now he has been left homeless, sleeping in hotel rooms and waiting for suitable replacement accommodation after he lost everything in the blaze.

The 31-year-old said that nothing could soothe the pain of losing his three cats Luna, Simba and Sid, who he had rescued and adopted.

The aftermath of the blaze inside Nathan’s flat which is believed to have been caused by a faulty microwave
(Image: Go Fund Me)

He said: “I was at work when I got a phone call to say ‘Nathan your flat’s on fire’.

“I ran out of work and went straight home to my flat.

“When I got there I instinctively went in to try and save my three cats, but I just couldn’t get to them. I took a few steps inside the flat but the smoke and the heat was too much.

“I was on my knees coughing and I knew that there was nothing I could do, so I had to watch it all burn.

“Once the fire service arrived I was given oxygen and they found all of my cats that had all died.

“But they said if I had gone any further into the flat they would have been taking me out in a body bag.”

Nathan had rescued and adopted all three of his cats, who had come from troubled backgrounds.

Now he has been left with the daunting task of building his life from the ground up after losing everything he had in the blaze.

His kitchen and hallway were completely damaged in the fire and his bedroom and living room left severely smoke damaged.

He said: “I will never get them back. They were like my babies and my family.

“I was just so lucky that I was out at the time, it could have happened at anytime when I was at the flat or in bed.

“After the year we’ve all had with coronavirus and now this happening so close to Christmas, it has really hit me hard.

Nathan’s three cats who perished in the blaze
(Image: Go Fund Me)

“I had just recently bought a new dishwasher and sofa. A new microwave was in my car ready to be put in the flat.

“I had the flat just how I wanted it and spent a lot of money getting it just right and now I am back to square one.”

But after hearing what happened to Nathan, friend Sarah Knott decided to set up a Go Fund Me page for the youth worker to try and help him to get back on his feet.

So far, it has managed to raise £1,000, with another page set up in Manchester also raising almost £500 for him.

Nathan added: “My friend Sarah rang me to told me what she had done and I just couldn’t believe it.

“She said that after all I do to help others it would be nice for others to help me out for a change.

Nathan’s flat was completely destroyed in the blaze on November 19
(Image: Go Fund Me)

“I am so grateful and if anyone had any furniture or items they don’t need anymore I would be more than willing to take those too.

“I am just so thankful to everyone who has donated.”

If you would like to help Nathan you can donate to his Go Fund Me page here.